Florida Advanced Driver Improvement Online

Florida Hardship License

Image of driver license

If your Florida driver license has been suspended, you might be able to apply for a hardship license to drive to and from your place of employment.

An important part of getting your hardship license will be for you to get your ADI course enrollment letter. With our online ADI course, you will receive your enrollment letter right away after you complete course registration and payment! There is no charge for this service, and you will avoid having to wait for your letter to arrive in the mail, which is the way most ADI providers deliver this critical document.

Just follow the steps below to get your Florida hardship license.

Steps to Getting your Hardship License

  1. Sign up for the online 12-hour ADI course.
  2. Go to the clerk of the court and ask for a 30 day search of your driving record. The clerk's office will provide you with the necessary information about your driving record.
  3. You will need a copy of your ADI course enrollment letter to take with you to the Bureau of Administrative Review office. This letter will be made available to you automatically after you complete course registration and payment.
  4. Take your enrollment letter and driving record information to the DMV office and speak to a Hearing Officer about applying for your hardship license. (You will still be required to complete the ADI course before your license can be reinstated.)

If you are a Habitual Traffic Offender (HTO), you will be required to complete the advanced driver improvement course before you can apply for your hardship license.

Florida Hardship License Restrictions

In general, you may apply for a hardship license if your license has been suspended for points, you have been court ordered to attend ADI, or you have been classified as HTO (non-DUI related). However, some other categories will not permit issuance of a Florida hardship license. You are not eligible for a hardship license if any of the following apply to you:

  • Your license has been suspended for being incapable of operating a motor vehicle safely (one-year suspension).
  • You have been convicted of DUI (180 days - 1 year suspension). In cases of DUI, offenders are usually permitted to apply for a hardship license upon completion of their DUI school and treatment (if required).